Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Music, Science, and Me

Music, Science, and Me
Nicah Santos
2012-63269

I consider myself to be a musician. I’m a singer, and I sang in a choral group for 8 years before entering college. I’ve written a few songs in the past, and I’ve conducted my own choir. On the other hand, I also consider myself as a young lady with a scientific mind. I excel at the sciences; for some reason, I just GET it. However, I’ve never imagined that these two facets of my life could ever come together.

After the STS session on music and science, I think it makes a lot of sense for these two things to come together. After all, new mothers make their newborns listen to classical music to boost their IQs. Perhaps the greatest scientific minds in history were molded by music! I also think that music is cerebral. You need brains to create good music, as can be seen in Gustav Holt’s “The Planets”. Just like how a chemist needs to know how different elements react to each other, musicians need to know how notes and rests work with each other to create beautiful sound.


I especially liked listening to the full theme song of “The Big Bang Theory”. I’m an avid fan of that television series, and I memorize the first verse by heart. I was so pleased to hear that there was a continuation to the song! I think that song is a good example of how music can educate us on science, and how well they can work together to make a catchy song. What’s great about the song is that it’s scientifically accurate and gives the listeners something to think about. I can’t wait to download the full song myself and memorize that, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment